Wanderings in Ardea
Rules and Variants
These are variants either from the book Unearthed Arcana or inspired from other game systems.
- Variant Races (pg 6-17)- These are elemental variants of the common races (i.e. elves, goblins, orcs, etc.,) and variants according to climate.
- Bloodlines (pg 19-31)- There are traits that can be traced back to a lineage that came from a specific monstrous race or creature that are acquired according to level progression.
- Specialized Wizard Variants (pg 59-64)- These cover each of the schools of magic where a character could specialize even further after sacrificing something in return.
- Gestalt Characters (pg 72-76)- At this time we are making gestalt characters, so here are some ideas of combinations as found in Unearthed Arcana.
- Character Flaws (pg 91)- The character flaws chosen can be then open up a slot for another feat. A chosen flaw must be one that will make a meaningful impact on the character. One may even choose a phobia or even just roll from the random ability/flaw table that I have when we meet. However, once obtained, it can’t be taken back.
- Armor Damage Conversion (pg 112)- This allows the armor of the character to soak up some of the damage and treat it as non-lethal (damage converted= armor value). It still must be counted as part of the total of the damage a character has taken, but will not cause a character to be dying if they fell below 0 hit points. It can be healed at 2:1 per point of healing magic.
- Magic Components- There will not be spell component pouches to cover all the spells, but the caster must acquire, and keep on hand, these components in order to be able to cast them. Some of these components may also be augment these spells (pg 139-151).
- Recharge Magic- Magic spells will recharge at a rate depending on the level of the spell ( recharge time= 10 min. per level of spell).
- Spontaneous Healing- Clerics may sacrifice a spell to cast its equivalent level of healing.
- Magic. Missiles, and Melee- There is a 20% chance of striking and ally with a ranged attack/spell per ally in base contact with the target. The feat Precise Shot will halve that result.
- Any damage over 10 that a character suffers also affects the integrity of the armor (hp of armor = weight).
- There will be a chart for both crits and fumbles in combat, as well as a chart for when casting magic goes awry (spell failure due to armor or when taking damage).